After scrolling through Instagram, I happened upon a chocolate protein donut recipe that looked delicious by Sarah Bakian (@sarah_bakian). I had all of the ingredients but don't have a donut pan, so I turned mine into muffins!
1/8 c almond meal/flour
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 T unsweetened natural applesauce
1 t baking powder
1 egg white
1 t vanilla extract
Stevia to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix batter together. I just mixed it with a fork, but I would suggest using a small food processor or blender as I still had little chunks of almond meal after baking. Mixing it with a processor will create a smoother batter. Also note that this batter will be extremely sticky!
3. If you choose to make donuts, spray a donut pan with cooking spray and pour the batter to make 4 donuts. If you make it into muffins like I did, spray a muffin tin, and it will make 2-3 muffins. I would suggest not using paper muffin cups, because the batter is so sticky that once cooked, the paper is very hard to get off. I'm pretty sure I ate some of it!
4. Bake for 9 minutes if you are making donuts and 11 minutes for muffins. Keep a close eye on it though as most ovens are not the same. Be sure to stick a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean.
5. I frosted my muffins with PB2 that I mixed with water, but Sarah made a mint frosting which I will definitely be trying the next time I make these. For the frosting, mix 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder and 1 T Duncan Hines Mint Chocolate frosting creating powder or mint extract.
8.1 grams of fat
13.7 grams of carbs
4.8 grams of dietary fiber
31.6 grams of protein
***Keep in mind your macros will vary based on what type of protein powder and other ingredients you use. I suggest using a tracker like myfitnesspal. You can put it in the recipe section with your ingredients to get your exact macros!
I can't wait to get a donut pan to actually make these as donuts, because they were kind of chewy as muffins. However that could also be because I used chocolate egg protein powder instead of whey protein powder, but I was desperate! It was all I had!!