Monday, July 22, 2013

LiveFit Trainer Phase 1 Day 15 and Carrot Cake Protein Bars

I can't believe it's already the beginning of week 3.  Only 9 more to go after this!  I have followed the trainer almost perfectly for the last 3 days, and I only have two and a half weeks until Warrior Dash.  I know I can get to the race without any cheats, especially after the amazing protein bars I made today!  Seriously they are like cake!  But first I want to talk about my new workouts.

As I mentioned in my last post, today was leg day, one of two for the week.  I absolutely love lifting for legs, because it is the strongest part of my body due to many years of cheerleading and gymnastics.  The following is the phase 1 leg day for weeks 3 and 4 of the trainer:

  • Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 10 reps
  • Wide Stance Barbell Squats: 3 sets of 10 reps (These are my absolute favorite!)
  • Walking Barbell Lunge: 3 sets of 10 reps (I used two dumbbells rather than a barbell.)
  • Single-Leg Kettlebell Deadlifts: 3 sets of 10 reps on each leg (I have never done these before, but they definitely worked my hamstrings like no tomorrow!)
  • Lying Leg Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps
  • Seated Calf Raise: 3 sets of 10 reps
  • Standing Calf Raise: 3 sets of 10 reps
I was a little bit worried about the lunges because of my knee.  Before physical therapy, I was unable to do them, because it felt like my knee was just going to tear.  I hadn't tried doing them again until today, but I didn't have much pain at all!  The deadlifts were extremely difficult, because I had to balance on my bad knee with a 30 lb. kettlebell.  However, I pushed through and completed my sets.  My knee doesn't even hurt as I sit here to write this, and I even did an hour of Zumba this evening too.

I hadn't planned on Zumba, but my mom said she was teaching tonight.  So I went to support her.  Plus what's a little ass shaking going to hurt?! :)

Today was also meal prep day.  I made the usual chicken, brown rice, and veggies for lunches and dinners.
All of my meals
 The picture below is how I measure out my chicken.  If you are serious about dieting and eating right, you absolutely have to measure stuff out.  I use this cheap kitchen scale that I got at Wal-Mart when I was living at school to weigh out my 4 oz. servings of chicken every time I prep.  It was really inexpensive but one of the best purchases I could have made.  4 oz. is not an entire chicken breast.  It is more like 1/2 to 3/4 depending on the thickness of it.  While eating a whole chicken breast probably wouldn't hurt much, I count calories, and therefore need to be sure of my exact intake.
Now on to the best part of my meal prep for this week.  The LiveFit Trainer has a section of recipes, a lot of which I have made previously, like Italian Turkey Burgers and Pumpkin Spice pancakes.  I will most likely make these again and post the recipes.  However the recipe I made tonight is one that I haven't tried before.  Everyone who knows me knows how much I LOVE Quest bars, but they are super expensive.  And right now I just can't afford them.  I have 6 left, and I am saving them up!  Therefore, in order to save a little money until next payday, I made Jamie Eason's Carrot Cake Protein Bars!  Rather than send you guys to the website, I will post the recipe here, but all credit goes to Jamie Eason!

Ingredients:
1 c oat flour
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/8 t allspice (I used Pumpkin Pie Spice.)
1/8 t nutmeg
4 egg whites
3/4 c Splenda, Stevia, Truvia, or Ideal
8 oz. baby food carrots
4 oz. water (Optional-I did not need it.)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Mix together flour, protein powder, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix together egg whites, sweetener, baby food carrots, and water if necessary.  I would suggest waiting to add the water to see if you even need it.  Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together.  I used a hand mixer to make sure it really combined well.  Spray an 8 x 8 dish with Pam or some other non-stick spray, and pour batter into dish.

Bake for 20-30 minutes.  Mine only took 20 minutes, but every oven varies.
After baking
I was surprised by how much the cake rose while baking.  It came out a lot thicker than I thought it would, which makes the fat kid inside me very happy!  Let the cake cool fully before cutting into 16 squares.
Cake! Cake! Cake!
I almost felt guilty eating this.  Not going to lie, I ate 4 pieces after I finished washing my meal prep dishes!  Jamie says that 2 squares from a pan cut into 16 pieces is a serving size, but the macros I will give are for a single square or 1/16 of the cake.

Macros:
55 calories
0.7 grams of fat
6.4 grams of carbs
1.1 grams of dietary fiber
0.6 grams of sugar
6 grams of protein

Do yourself a favor, and make these, especially if you're addicted to super expensive protein bars and broke like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment