Tuesday, July 16, 2013

LiveFitTrainer Phase 1 Day 8 and Pbeechie Pop Tarts

If you follow me on Facebook, you know it was pretty late when I went to write my Day 8 post, so instead I chose to fall asleep and do it when I was awake! I will still do a Day 9 post later today though!  So lucky you guys!!!

Week 2 is exactly the same as Week 1 in workouts and nutrition; however, with my new Polar watch, I decided to add in cardio early.  I figure if I have the energy to do it, why not?  I did the usual first day of the week workout (Chest and Triceps), but my gym was so busy I had to wait for all of the machines!  I hated waiting and usually tried to find something else to do while waiting, like additional sets or switch to another exercise on the list.  After getting all of the required lifts in, I decided that with Warrior Dash less than a month away, I would do some running for my cardio.  Now I am not a long distance runner by any means.  I have competed in 2 other 5K races before, but I did them for the charity they represented and for fun, not for time.  Therefore instead of just straight running, I do HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training.  If you have never heard of this Google it!  Basically what I do is after a 2 minute walking warm up, I run for a minute then walk for a minute, back and forth for about 30 minutes total.  Between the two workouts, I burned roughly 602 calories.

Now onto the second part of my title, POP TARTS!!!  Who doesn't love Pop Tarts?  I know I do.  My absolute favorite are the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  I also really want to try the new Chocolate Peanut Butter, but that taste test will have to wait.  For now, I am testing out Pbeechie's recipes for Pop Tarts.  Check out her website for some awesome and healthy recipes!  http://www.thecoconutdiaries.net/  I have tried two of her Pop Tart recipes, but there are tons of others!  First is the Peanut Butter Pop Tart:

Ingredients:
2 T oat flour
2 T PB2
1 T almond flour
1 T coconut flour
1/4 t vanilla extract
1 t Stevia
1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
1 La Tortilla Factory Low Carb High Fiber Wrap

Mix together all of the ingredients, except the tortilla obviously.  I just used a small bowl and mixed with a fork.

Next spread the batter onto a single tortilla in somewhat of a rectangle smack dab in the center.
Fold in the sides of the tortilla.  It will stick to the batter and stay shut.

Place the pop tart on a panini press type heated plate.  I used the flat plates of my waffle maker, but if you don't have any of these, I would suggest using a skillet on the stove and placing another skillet on top to keep it flat.  If you do this make sure you flip it at some point so both sides get browned.  If using the panini press or waffle maker, place the pop tart with the folded side down.
Heat it until golden brown.

They are way bigger than normal pop tarts!  It is basically the size of my hand!

Once complete, you can top it with whatever you want.  I suggest peanut butter, PB2 spread, Greek yogurt, or bananas.  To keep it lower calorie, I topped mine with banana slices and Walden Farms Chocolate Sauce.
For me, this was delicious, but a little bit too flour-y for my taste.  I was hoping for a lot more peanut butter flavor.
I calculated the macros with the ingredients I used on myfitnesspal, and here is what it came up with:

Macros without toppings (serves 1):
266 calories
10.8 grams of fat
36.3 grams of carbs
19 grams of dietary fiber
3.8 grams of sugar
18.4 grams of protein

I also tried Pbeechie's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop Tart.  By the way, I did not make all of these on Day 8.  I had the Peanut Butter one on Day 7!

Ingredients:
Pop Tart Base:
3 T oat flour
1 T coconut flour
1 T unsweetened applesauce
1 T Walden Farms pancake syrup
2 T water
Stevia to taste
1/4 t butter extract
1/4 Chocolate Brownie Quest Bar
1 La Tortilla Factory Low Carb High Fiber wrap

Chocolate Icing:
2 T non fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 chocolate protein powder
Stevia to taste

Cookie Drizzle:
1 T non fat plain Greek yogurt
1 T Walden Farms pancake syrup

Begin by mixing together the pop tart base ingredients, mixing everything but the Quest bar and the tortilla.  When the batter is mixed thoroughly, break up the 1/4 Quest bar into small chocolate "chips."  I started by cutting mine with a knife but got impatient and just started ripping it.

Put together your pop tart exactly like the peanut butter one and cook on the panini press until golden brown.  While your pop tart is cooking, mix together the chocolate icing and cookie drizzle.  Let your pop tart cool before topping, because warmed up Greek yogurt is just nasty!
Yum!!

Macros (including toppings):
375 calories
8 grams of fat
56.9 grams of carbs
22.8 grams of dietary fiber
6.8 grams of sugar
37.3 grams of protein

These are delicious!  Try them out for yourself.  I will be making me own and changing up the recipes a little bit to try to make them better fit my macros and calorie intake.  I like to have a larger breakfast, and one pop tart is just not filling enough for me!  I would also like them to be less flour-y and a little bit sweeter.

In the meantime, check out Pbeechie's website!

No comments:

Post a Comment