Monday, May 20, 2013

Clean Chocolate Frosty

Alrighty, so I'm sure many of you are like me in that you love Wendy's Frostys, but have you ever wondered what is in one of those?  Wendy's bodes that the Frosty contains real milk, but it also contains a lot of other ingredients that are absolutely terrible for you.  According to Food Facts, a Medium 16 oz. Wendy's Frosty contains: milk, sugar, cream, corn syrup, whey, non-fat milk, cocoa, dextrose, guar gum, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, calcium sulphate, disodium phosphate, vitamin A palmitate, artificial and natural flavoring.  Do you know what half of those ingredients are?  I sure don't.


On top of that, the macros for that same 16 oz. Frosty are as follows:
430 calories
11 grams of fat
74 grams of carbs
55 grams of sugar
10 grams of protein

The other day, my mom found a recipe on Facebook for what they called a knockoff of the Wendy's Frosty.  It had just a few, simple and clean ingredients and came out to be much lower in calories.  I adjusted the recipe to fit my needs and make it higher in protein.

Ingredients: Makes one serving
3/4 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
about 15 ice cubes
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1-2 T unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 2, because I love love love chocolate!)
1/3 banana
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used GNC Egg Protein in order to keep it lower in carbs.)


Blend all of the ingredients together.  I used my single serve smoothie cup on my Ninja.  It's as easy as that!  You can make a vanilla version by using vanilla protein powder and subtracting the unsweetened cocoa powder.  It would be really fun to experiment with this to make other flavors.  I added a little no calorie sweetener to mine as well, because I like things sweeter.


Macros for chocolate with egg protein powder:
205 calories
3.5 grams of fat
20 grams of carbs
6 grams of dietary fiber
8 grams of sugar
28 grams of protein

Macros for chocolate without protein powder:
85 calories
3 grams of fat
17 grams of carbs
6 grams of dietary fiber
7 grams of sugar
3 grams of protein

This thing almost overflowed my single serve smoothie cup! Way more than 16 oz!  Enjoy this amazing dessert at home.  Save yourself some money and some calories!!!  I know I sure enjoyed it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment