Monday, May 20, 2013

Broccoli Cauliflower Pizza Crust

The most difficult food for me to give up when "dieting" and eating very clean is pizza, especially my favorite Coccia House pizza.  That stuff is amazing.  It is my choice for my birthday dinner every year!


Anyway I've tried a couple of clean crust recipes, but this one has the lowest calories and still tastes amazing!  I've seen many variations of the recipe, but this one came from the Instagram account of @mindovermunch.  I will definitely be making this recipe again, maybe even this week since I still have some ingredients left over.

Ingredients:
2 c. raw cauliflower
1 c. raw broccoli florets
1 oz. fat free mozzarella shredded cheese
1 oz. Parmesan cheese
1 whole egg, lightly beaten


Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.  In a food processor, blend cauliflower and broccoli until you get a rice like consistency.

Microwave this mixture 5-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.  While warm, stir in cheeses and egg briskly.  This will form a dough-like consistency.  Then press out the dough onto a cookie sheet or pizza pan that has been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking oil.  You'll want to press the dough out fairly thin, leaving the edges a little thicker.  This will help it to crisp up more.  I also sprinkled a little bit of garlic powder over the top of the crust for some added flavor.



Bake 20-30 minutes until lightly browned.  I cooked it about 5 or 10 minutes longer to try to make it a little crispier.  When baking is complete, top with your desired toppings.
Put the pizza back in the oven until the cheese is melted.

Macros for entire pizza crust (no toppings):
210 calories
7 grams of fat
17 grams of carbs
7 grams of dietary fiber
7 grams of sugars
24 grams of protein

I sliced it into 16 pieces, had 4 for lunch and the rest for leftovers.  It's even good the next day microwaved. The next time I make this, I might divide the two into four pizzas and cook them as mini personal sizes.  I think they'll crisp up better this way and be easier to track.

Seriously try this recipe!  When you microwave the broccoli and cauliflower, it'll get a little stinky in your kitchen, but the end results is so worth it.  My dad even admitted that it looked really good.  Although I still couldn't get him to actually try it.  Maybe I will next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment