Saturday, June 1, 2013

No Bake Healthy Cookie Dough Bites

This week I'm working the overnight shift at Kohl's, and normally during this shifts there is a lot of really delicious but bad for you foods that I can smash on all night long.  I didn't want to shatter all of my progress in two nights; therefore, I decided to make my coworkers and me some healthy snack alternatives, which ended up being delicious and not healthy tasting at all.  This recipe seemed to be everyone's favorite, and I even had a coworker ask me for the recipe at the end of the night!
These could not be any easier to make either.  I got them off of @youngnhealthy on Instagram.  If you're like me you have a deep love for raw cookie dough.  I even like the dough better than the baked cookie, so when I saw her recipe for no bake cookie dough, I had to try it!

Ingredients:
2 c. almond flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour.)
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. sea salt
1/4 c. coconut oil (solid but still soft--I heated mine up in the microwave very briefly.)
1 T. honey
2 T. almond butter (I didn't have any almond butter, so I used Peanut Butter and Co. Smooth Operator PB.)
2 t. pure vanilla extract
Dark chocolate chips (I love the Sunspire 42% organic cacao chips and used about 4 T.)
You can also add some Stevia if it's not sweet enough for you.  I did not add any though.

Place all dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda, and salt) in  a food processor and process briefly until combined.

Next, add all of the other ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips and process again. Once the ingredients were all processed, I pulled the blade out of my Ninja and stirred in the chocolate chips.

Place dough in freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm it up.  I only left mine in for about 15, because I got impatient and anxious to try it!  I would suggest leaving it in for the full 20 minutes, because mine was kind of crumbly when I was spreading it out.  Spread dough out on wax paper or a cookie sheet.  The original instructions say to roll it out with a rolling pin, but I just pressed it flat with my fingers a little bit, since I was going to be rolling it into balls anyway.

I used my handy dandy scooper again to get a good serving size and molded the dough into small balls.  It was very crumbly and didn't roll in my fingers very well, so I molded them into balls more or less.

Store in the freezer or refrigerator.  I left mine in the freezer.  They were delicious, but I wish they were a little bit less crumbly.  I have heard of using Greek yogurt in the ingredients, and I may try that next time.  It seems like that would be a good addition to combine everything.  Plus it would add a little more protein to the macros!

Macros per bite:
108 calories
10 grams of fat
5 grams of carbs
2 grams of dietary fiber
3 grams of sugar
3 grams of protein


No comments:

Post a Comment